IDE must be run as administrator to work as expected

This is the forum for miscellaneous technical/programming questions.

Moderator: 2ffat

alexus1965

IDE must be run as administrator to work as expected

Post by alexus1965 »

Hi all, I'm new to C++ Builder and the RADStudio IDE. Have installed the C++ Builder 10.3 Community Ed on Win 10. When starting RADStudio normally (without admin privs) the file, new menu options are very light on; only "other" and "customize ..." are displayed. However, if RADStudio is run as administrator it starts with a dialog stating that packages are being loaded, which takes a few seconds, then the file, new menu displays the options expected. Surely the IDE doesn't need to be run as administrator! Has something gone wrong with the installation? I have uninstalled and reinstalled using radstudio_10_3_3_esd7899_nt several times. What have I done wrong?
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Re: IDE must be run as administrator to work as expected

Post by rlebeau »

alexus1965 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:02 pm When starting RADStudio normally (without admin privs) the file, new menu options are very light on; only "other" and "customize ..." are displayed. However, if RADStudio is run as administrator it starts with a dialog stating that packages are being loaded, which takes a few seconds, then the file, new menu displays the options expected.
Sounds like maybe you installed the IDE, or at least it installed its packages, in a location where non-admins do not have access to the files.
alexus1965 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:02 pm Surely the IDE doesn't need to be run as administrator!
Correct. It should not need admin rights to run normally.
alexus1965 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:02 pm Has something gone wrong with the installation?
Sounds like it, yes.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software