January 2012 Developer's Poll

Use this forum for polls.

What is the primary reason you use C++Builder?

a. Because of its RAD capabilities
57%
b. Because of its compiler's capabilities
7%
c. Because of its cross-platform support
5%
d. Because I'm required to use it at my job
13%
e. Other (please specify)
18%

Total votes : 56

January 2012 Developer's Poll

Postby Damon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:21 am

I chose (a) and (e) other. Other: Because it's what I used to learn Windows programming (old dog, no new tricks, etc.) 8)

Thanks in advance for your votes.

Cheers,
Damon Chandler
Editor-in-Chief
C++Builder Developer's Journal
http://bcbjournal.com
Damon
BCBJ Editor and Admin
BCBJ Editor and Admin

Re: January 2012 Developer's Poll

Postby rlebeau » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:22 pm

I also chose (e) because it is what I first learned C/C++ with, and never looked elsewhere since.

Since we can only choose 2 answers, I chose (d) because I do require it for my day job (which unfortunately has been changing lately as we are doing all new projects in Visual Studio C# and older projects are being maintained for legacy purposes until they become obsolete). I do like its RAD capabilities though, so I wanted to vote for (a) as well.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Postby Smoke1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:43 pm

I chose (B) and (E) because Im basically a newbie of 3 years and Learning. The Coding is simple.
This is the first software I have started with. love the C++ Builder. And This site is the best place to come get awnser and a great place to learn from. have been recently shown how to do many more things with my project.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
"No one is promise tomorrow, but you can live for today" - Smoke1
Last edited by Smoke1 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoke1
If you think education is difficult, try being stupid.
Smoke1
BCBJ Veteran
BCBJ Veteran

Postby MagikMan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:41 pm

I picked (a) and (e). (e) because in 1995 that is what I started windows programming with then (a) because once I saw how rad it really was I was hooked. And I've really never wanted to change. Same as others, ODS (Old Dog Syndrome).
"If I have seen further than others it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants." - I. Newton
MagikMan

Postby denville » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:49 am

I was struggling with basic Windows apps (just getting the boilerplate stuff done drove me mad) then I discovered Delphi. I said a prayer and the good Lord sent me CPB version 1. I updated as far as 6 then I thought I had everything that a (this) programmer needs. I just love it. Over the years, I introduced most of my clients to CPB and they loved it too.

I had a quick look at later versions but 'they' started to 'improve' the 'experience' - I hate progress! I have some 70 projects that need attention from time to time and I probably don't have enough years left to convert them all to Unicode.

These days I have to provide some code for integration into c# projects so I have to use VS2010, which drives me mad. Where possible, I develop new code (or new versions of existing code) as a class, using CPB to develop and test it. When it is sound, I use VS2010 to provide a CLI wrapper for the class and test it in a c# application.

Old dogs certainly struggle with new tricks.
denville
BCBJ Veteran
BCBJ Veteran

Postby smays » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:00 am

Much like everyone else, I chose a and e. I personally would like to claim d, but when I first started working where I work now 6.5 years ago there was a great deal desire for me to use LabView. After three weeks of training a few weeks of fiddling with LabView, I determined Builder was the only way to go for sophisticated bench automation with a *strong* database backbone. I claim d for myself, because I know what is best for what I do and I consider Builder a requirement for my job.

Builder has always lacked flash in favor of a solid Win32 foundation. If I wanted flashy looking code that created more work for the bench technician, lacked useful support for databases, and was a pain to program and maintain, I would have chosen LabView. Instead I chose Builder and have never regretted it.

Steve.
smays
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Postby Damon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:50 am

smays wrote:After three weeks of training a few weeks of fiddling with LabView, I determined Builder was the only way to go for sophisticated bench automation with a *strong* database backbone.

Steve: I totally agree regarding LabView. It has it's strengths, but I've found C++Builder to be stronger in many respects. But, more people know LabView, and people go with what they know!
Damon Chandler
Editor-in-Chief
C++Builder Developer's Journal
http://bcbjournal.com
Damon
BCBJ Editor and Admin
BCBJ Editor and Admin

Return to Polls