February 2006 Developer's Poll

Use this forum for polls.

February 2006 Developer's Poll

Postby Damon » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:09 am

[The February 2006 Developer's Poll is now closed. Thanks for all the votes!]

It's (c) for me... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Damon
Last edited by Damon on Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damon Chandler
Editor-in-Chief
C++Builder Developer's Journal
http://bcbjournal.com
Damon
BCBJ Editor and Admin
BCBJ Editor and Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:31 am

Because:
1. BCB its the one and only tool I use since V1.
2. The unknown future of support in BCB again vs Delphi and
3. Usually a takeover of the IDE (if it) will be (as almost allways) by a company run mostly by managers and not programmers,

I'm bettwen b and c tending to b.

Postby gtokas » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:34 am

Sorry the previous post was mine.
"Father is C++ Builder. I'm C++ Killer"
Vangelis Tokas.
12 years old.
gtokas
BCBJ Editor
BCBJ Editor

Wishy-Washy

Postby 2ffat » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:49 pm

I've been thinking about this for awhile now so some of my initial anger has died down a bit. At one time, I thought this was the worst thing to happen. I've heavily invested in BCB programs. It would take me a lifetime to rewrite them in VC++ or learn/relearn another language.

After some thought however, I'm thinking maybe it might be a good thing to have another company take over BCB. The new company might actually like having customers. I'm tired of Borland/Inprise/Borland/whatever vasilating between company paradigms. I worry that BCB might be killed off by the new owners, though. So I put down a C for my vote.

I won't be buying the new Borland's products. If they treat their longtime customers like this, how are they going to treat new customers buying their new products?
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
when there is science to do.
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Borland selling IDE business

Postby Tim » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:27 am

Basically, when I think Borland, I think development tools mainly Pascal, Delphi, C++, Cbuilder etc.

I certainly don't think enterprise this or enterprise that. I don't think process solution this or process solutions that. For that we have an army of rather large 3 letter acronym companies.

Like last time around with the Inprise thingy, it was the "Borland" name and languages that ended up popping up again and keeping them afloat.

As long as the new company focuses on the language solutions and hopefully the deal includes keeping the name Borland xyz in some form or another and they keep the products alive, we may be better off than with a management which does not understand the tools market, the importance of Borland tools, hops in for a quick change of stategy and shareholder value???whatever that means, and hops out...

To sum up> if the new company remains loyal to its products and customers I don't really mind who sells the products.
Tim

Postby minas » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:57 am

I voted (c). Better to wait to see the progress of this story. I just hope for the best :shock:
minas
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Sale of IDE

Postby Digby Millikan » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:07 am

I thought BDS was a winning product, the beginning of a new evolution in
programming platforms, the move to break up the product is a disaster for me and a poor decision by Borland, they should spend more time on R&D and marketing to outsell the Visual C++ product, who want's Managed C++, might as well uses interpreter BASIC. BDS is a top product for engineering software development, and with 64bit on the horizon will increasingly take a share of the UNIX market C++ compilers, might even take over from HP's AC++ oneday :D
Digby Millikan

Return to Polls